Be a Resource, Not a Tool
As the 2.0 space continues to evolve, self-proclaimed “experts”, “leaders” and “visionaries” are a dime a dozen. They drop self-serving knowledge on you like a Sensei in a Karate class your Mom made you take. They demand you bow to them and follow their lead, because someday you might be lucky enough to reach their mythical stature (even though they really don’t care either way).
What kills me about these people is the sheer irony of it all. While preaching the gospel of feedback and engagement, they themselves don’t do either quite well. They plead for “transparency”, “relationships” and mock former clients /employers on their lack of social media know-how (often in public forums). This isn’t professional, nor is it productive.
If you’ve got a few hundred or thousand Twitter followers, a chance to speak in public or an opportunity to share your “expertise”, please do it tastefully, intelligently and respectfully. Be a teacher, not a preacher.
Take a hint from some of the pros that actually engage, actually converse and actually have enough credible experience to be worthy of these titles (which they will most often humbly defer) and do the right thing.
If you’ve got a message, I’m asking you to not let your ego overshadow it. I know it’s hard, but it’s worth it.
Photo courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons
Filed under: marketing, new media, Professional Networking, Relationship Building, social media, social networking, Uncategorized, web 2.0, Will Wheeler | 2 Comments
Tags: authenticity, social media etiquette
- Capturing the scent of rain / theatlantic.com/international/… 1 week ago
- vimeo.com/209356195 via @NeochaEDGE neocha.com/magazine/inori… 1 week ago
- AR for anyone / any surface, a story newscientist.com/article/212643…- 3 weeks ago
- So, so good youtube.com/watch?v=Q_NltD… Thithi by @RaamReddy89 and Eregowda / Now on Netflix. 1 month ago
- RT @THR: Mahershala Ali speaks out as a Muslim amidst immigration ban at #SAGawards https://t.co/UINP3ehbiK 2 months ago
- My interview w. @nicholsontunes for @papermagazine is up / Thanks @nicholsontunes & @davidreporting papermag.com/meet-indias-el… 3 months ago
- Maru & Mari youtube.com/watch?v=t7yEUt… 4 months ago
- One of the most beautiful films I've ever seen youtube.com/watch?v=HAqhhH… 4 months ago
- Lostness / ted.com/talks/anand_gi… 4 months ago
- Gorgeous, gorgeous @ryanbooth vimeo.com/121860278 4 months ago
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
most popular posts
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007